March 14, 2011
We are delighted that one of our former NCI research students; Sabine Moebs has been awarded a co-funded Enterprise Partnership Scheme Postdoctoral Fellowship to continue to work with us here in NELL. This 2 year post-doc was submitted in partnership with, and is co-funded by our friends in Fluid Rock, an interactive web design and development agency based in the Digital Hub.
Sabine will be continuing her work on accesibility and flow experiences and looking at user experience across mulitple devices. Her research is titled; Accessibility-based Software Engineering Framework for User Experience across Mulitiple Devices.
She will start work in the lab and with Fluid Rock in July 2011.
We look forward to hearing more 🙂
December 15, 2010
Our study will then produce a report detailing students’ behaviour and guidelines on which teaching practices will improve the learners’ experience.
Our objectives are:
- To identify a list of most common tasks currently performed by students in VLEs.
- To conduct user study on NCI’s VLE (Moodle) including eye-tracking, usage observation and interview.
- To produce a report on students’ experience, highlighting usability issues and suggesting areas of improvement.
- To produce a booklet with instructional guidelines for lecturers on how to improve the use Moodle in their teaching practices.
- To conduct development workshops for NCI facutly to advise them on how to integrate recommendations into current learning and teaching practices.
- Through research and practitioner networks, make results of this study (lessons learned) available to other interested stakeholders, other HEA institutions, VLE and Moodle Learning and Teaching Networks.
This research is funded by NAIRTL and will run from Nov 2010 to June 2011
November 16, 2010
How long does your customer spend on your site before they leave? And what makes them bounce away…
A great defination from Enterprise Ireland Open Up on-line Resource;
‘Bounce rate’ is a term used when analysing the behaviour of website visitors. Your site’s bounce rate provides an assessment of how long web surfers stay on your site when visiting, so it’s a measure of whether users found what they were looking for on the site after they arrived or were interested enough to stay around and explore. A high bounce rate means that people who arrived at your site – perhaps via an ad or a search engine result – left almost immediately. If your bounce rate is consistently high, you will need to re-evaluate your webpages and see what can be done to improve the user experience – for example, making sure you have relevant content on the site.
Understand your user experience by getting IT tested… Then improve IT.
Picture of Ball from Pics4Learning
September 14, 2010
- How do your customers feel about your website? Are you getting the right message across? Are you maximising sales?
- Have you developed a new application and would you like to know more about how real customers engage with it?
Would you like to find out? Then get IT tested, try usability testing with the National E-Learning Lab.
Usability measures the ease of use of a system or website and looks at whether intended users can carry out tasks successfully and efficiently. At NELL we can observe and analyse how real users use your system. We will then provide a detailed report on users’ experience, highlighting any areas for improvement.
AND you can apply to Enterprise Ireland for a 5,000 Innovation Voucher to undertake testing with NELL.
or email Abi on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01 4498 664 for more info.
July 19, 2010
Are you an experienced researcher in the area of technology enhanced learning/e-learning?
Would you like to develop your career through a 2 year Research Fellowship in the National College of Ireland?
P7: MARIE CURIE INTRA-EUROPEAN FELLOWSHIPS FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT (IEF) – (FP7-People-2010-IEF)
For more information on how to apply for this, check out the NCI Research website.
Deadline for submission of proposals: 17.00 Brussels time, 17 August 2010.
Improving the user experience in the National E-learning Lab (NELL):
NELL is a research facility specialising in usability testing for human computer interactions. We would like to hear from researchers who are interested in conducting research on how to improve the user experience in e-learning.
School of Computing
Adaptive e-Learning Systems, Quality of Experience, Intelligent Tutoring Systems, User Experience, Dialogue Systems, Blended Learning, Usability, Evaluation.
February 4, 2010
Flow- the Think Blog..News and ideas on user experience.. (UK)
Useit.com (US) – is this a blog? but have to mention Nielson!
To name but a few..
Image from: Savickas, Stacy. arrowicon.jpg. September 2007. Pics4Learning. 4 Feb 2010 <http://pics.tech4learning.com>