March 2, 2010
- Facebook has more than 400 million active users worldwide
- 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- The average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
- The average user has 130 friends on the site (better get inviting!)
- Despite all the parents and grandparents continuing to join, most Facebook users are still relatively young with 80% of US users between the ages of 13-44
- The most popular game of 2009 continues to be Farmsville, with approx 75 million active users a month (Dec 2009)
- The most popular page on Facebook (March 2009) is Barack Obama, followed by Coca-Cola
- ‘Facebook login’ is fastest-rising search term on Google (Dec 2009)
- Currently (Feb 10) there are 1.34 million Irish users of Facebook (thanks for the update Damien)
What does it all mean?
First off, that unlike some of the other declining social media sites such as Bebo or MySpace, Facebook is growing in popularity. Facebook is here to stay; at least for the time being…
So what? Well, with 1.34 million Irish users, and 1 million of them logging on daily, Facebook is worth taking a further look at. We would like to understand some more about why users engage in Facebook and what do they do once they get on there. And the million dollar question.. How do you make money through Facebook?
Well, we can’t answer that question, but we are looking forward to working with our friends from Mulley Communications and Calom Technologies to undertake usability research to further delve into the minds of the Facebook user.. Watch this space..
These research projects are funded through the Innovation Voucher Initiative from Enterprise Ireland.